En Somme

Let's Keep This Short and Sweet

How much have I learned? Enough to know that I need to use a graphics interchange format (GIF) in this post, which I did not do the first week, and also including labels. We call that growth.

Image Source: Giphy

This GIF summarizes my thoughts of the course pretty well since there was so much that I did not think about -- not because I did not care, but because I did not even know of its existence, or it was just a concept that had not occurred to me. Once additional connections were made, however, I could see its relevance and that some were more familiar to me than others. For example, I had never used the terms "data mining" or "digital tattoo," but I could understand deep diving on the internet and stalking oneself, for lack of a better term. The term "footprint" is inapplicable because what is online is there to stay. I could also appreciate the depth required to understand what information can be found on the internet more than a simple Google search could.

"En somme" is French for "in summary." In summary, I still have a lot to learn as a beginning teacher to implement into my practice. Some intimidation is normal, but it should not be a default feeling. Furthermore, I feel less intimidated by prospects of new tools and ideas. Rather, like with technology in my original post, it seems inspiring and almost magical. It is so easy when in a new job, district, or any other change to see everything there is to learn as daunting, yet this can be so much better. This has been a safe space to explore and collaborate.

Working in my current school district, I have a wealth of resources and know that there are colleagues right in my hallway who not only embrace technology, but are known go-to guides because they are the first to find new ways to make it work for them and they are happy to show us those findings.

Yes, technology is still meant to make our lives easier and it sometimes backfires. or we notice other drawbacks like students' shorter attention spans, the ever-increasing appeal of instant gratification, and resorting to Google when a question comes up instead of discussing and debating the possibilities. Above all else, it is a tool and we can use it for good -- our good and the greater good.

Could a random internet passerby understand this post? Maybe not entirely since chances are they did not take EDU 776 at Dominican University in Illinois, though I would rather give the benefit of the doubt. More than knowing how to use a computer (shout-out to Alan Turing for inventing it!), this course has been heavy, in relevance, in its application in the classroom, yes, and more importantly for the education career. We resort blog posts to wannabe influencers when there is so much else to share and ways to learn from each other! As mentioned in one of my previous posts with Carl Sagan, to be part of this makes me feel big, and we all like to feel as though we are part of something bigger, to participate where together we are greater as a whole than the sum of our parts.

Comments

Popular Posts